New To Theaters...
April 3, 2015:
March 27-29, 2015
New to Home Video...
March 31, 2015:
LENA DUNHAM UNDER FIRE FOR OFFENSIVE QUIZ IN NEW YORKER
Lena Dunham has come under fire once again. The Girls star is receiving backlash from a piece she wrote for the New Yorker called "Dog or Jewish Boyfriend? A Quiz" about her boyfriend, Jack Antonoff.
The article includes quips such as "He doesn't tip," "He has hair all over his body, like most males who share his background," and, "He comes from a culture in which mothers focus every ounce of their attention on their offspring." The Anti-Defamation League released a statement slamming the piece saying, "Some will certainly find Lena Dunham's stereotypes about cheap Jews offensive. Others will take issue with the very idea of comparing a dog and a Jewish boyfriend. While we understand that humor is its own special brand of expression and always try to give leeway to comedians, we wish that she had chosen another, less insensitive way to publicly reflect on her boyfriend's virtues and vices. We are surprised that the New Yorker chose to print it."
- New Yorker editor-in-chief David Remnick addressed the controversy saying, "The Jewish-comic tradition is rich with the mockery of, and playing with, stereotypes. Anyone who has ever heard Lenny Bruce or Larry David or Sarah Silverman or who has read 'Portnoy's Complaint' knows that. Lena Dunham, who is Jewish and hugely talented, is a comic voice working in that vein. Richard Pryor and Chris Rock do the same about black stereotypes; Amy Schumer does it with women and gender. I don't mind if one reader or another didn't find the piece funny. People can differ on that. But considering all the real hatred and tragedy in the world, the people getting exercised about the so-called anti-Semitism of this comic piece, like those who railed at Philip Roth a generation or two ago, are, with respect, howling in the wrong direction."
- Twitter users have been on both sides of the argument and many critics have bashed the piece for just not being very funny.
TARAJI P. HENSON APOLOGIZES FOR SAYING HER SON WAS RACIALLY PROFILED
Taraji P. Henson has issued a public apology to the police department in Glendale, California for accusing them of racially profiling her 20-year-old son, Marcel Johnson. Video footage obtained by TMZ revealed that nothing out of the ordinary went down when the incident occurred last October when he was pulled over for failing to yield at a crosswalk.
The Empire star posted to Instagram on Friday (March 27th,) "I would like to publicly apologize to the officer and the Glendale Police Department. A mother's job is not easy and neither is a police officer's. Sometimes as humans we over react without gathering all of the facts. As a mother in this case I overreacted and for that I apologize."
- Taraji originally called out the cops in Uptown magazine for illegally searching his car even though the video revealed he actually admitted to having weed in the vehicle. He was given a citation for possession but got a pass for the original violation which would have required him to attend traffic school.
- Henson also said that Marcel was stopped by police on campus at USC just for having his hands in his pockets.
- The two incidents prompted her to transfer her son to Howard University.
'AUSTIN & ALLY' AND 'HUNGER GAMES' ARE THE KIDS' CHOICE
Former Disney actor Nick Jonas briefly became a Nickelodeon star to host the Kids' Choice Awards on Saturday night (March 28th.) The singer kicked off the show by serenading the audience with his songs "Chains" and "Jealous" while back by the teen metal band, Unlocking the Truth. The night also included performances by Jennifer Hudson and Iggy Azalea singing "Trouble" and 5 Seconds of Summer covering "What I Like About You" by The Romantics.
Emma Stone took home the first award for Favorite Movie Actress. The cast of Modern Family had the honor of being the first winners of the night to have buckets of slime dumped on them. Angelina Jolie made her first public appearance since revealing her preventative cancer surgery last week. She was joined by daughters Shiloh and Zahara who cheered their mom on while she accepted the award for Favorite Villain.
- Disney Channel's Austin & Ally was the favorite in the TV categories taking home blimps for Favorite Kids TV Show, Favorite TV Actor, and Favorite TV Actress.
- On the movie side, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay -- Part 1 also took home three awards -- Favorite Movie, Favorite Male Action Star, and Favorite Female Action Star which Jennifer Lawrence won for both Hunger Games and X-Men: Days of Future Past.
- Jennifer Lopez made a cameo to present the award for Favorite Male Singer to Nick who thanked all of his fans before getting drenched in slime.
- The cast of The Thundermans were the first people ever to go through the human slime car wash.
Favorite Talent Competition Show: The Voice
Favorite Family TV Show: Modern Family
Favorite Kids TV Show: Austin & Ally
Favorite TV Actor: Ross Lynch, Austin & Ally
Favorite TV Actress: Laura Marano, Austin & Ally
Favorite Cartoon: SpongeBob SquarePants
Favorite Reality Show: Dance Moms
Favorite Movie: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay -- Part 1
Favorite Villain: Angelina Jolie, Maleficent
Favorite Movie Actor: Ben Stiller, Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb
Favorite Movie Actress: Emma Stone, The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Favorite Animated Movie: Big Hero 6
Favorite Male Action Star: Liam Hemsworth, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay -- Part 1
Favorite Female Action Star: Jennifer Lawrence, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay -- Part 1 and X-Men: Days of Future Past
Favorite New Artist: Fifth Harmony
Favorite Music Group: One Direction
Favorite Male Singer: Nick Jonas
Favorite Female Singer: Selena Gomez
Favorite Song Of The Year: "Bang Bang" Jessie J, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj
Most Addicting Game: Minecraft
Favorite Book: Diary of a Wimpy Kid series
SOUND FROM THE SHOW:
In clip one, Angelina Jolie accepts award for Favorite Villain.
- "Thank you so much for all the kids who voted. I want to say when I was little, like Maleficent, I was told that I was different. I felt i was out of place, I was too loud and too full of fire and never good at sitting still, never good at fitting in and then one day I realized something. Something I hope you realize. Different is good. So don't fit in. Don't sit still. Don't ever try to be less than what you are and when someone tells you that you are different, smile and hold your head up high and be proud. And as your villain, I would say cause a little trouble. It's good for you."
Click here to listen to: KIDS CHOICE AWARDS 2015 EMMA STONE ACCEPTS AWARD FOR FAVORITE MOVIE ACTRESS
Click here to listen to: KIDS CHOICE AWARDS 2015 NICK JONAS ACCEPTS AWARD FOR FAVORITE MALE SINGER
Click here to listen to: KIDS CHOICE AWARDS 2015 NICK JONAS INTRODUCES THE SHOW
TWO MORE WOMEN ACCUSE BILL COSBY OF SEXUAL ASSAULT
Two more women have accused Bill Cosby of sexual assault. Lawyer Gloria Allred held a press conference on Friday (March 27th) with Sunni Welles and Margie Shapiro. Shapiro has claimed that her incident with Cosby occurred in 1975 when she was 19.
According to Gawker, Shapiro has claimed that Cosby had invited her to dinner but they ended up at the Playboy Mansion guest house instead. Shapiro says she and Cosby played a game of pinball and he said that whoever lost would swallow a random pill. Shapiro lost, took the pill and when she came to, the first thing she noticed was "Bill Cosby's face not far above me and we were both naked. He was inside me and touching me and I was so grossed out, I can't find the words to express my disgust."
Meanwhile, Welles said that when she was 17 back in 1960s, Cosby took her to a jazz club and she blacked out after drinking a soda. She said that Cosby allegedly told her that she had gotten drunk on champagne and must have stripped herself. She said that a second outing with Cosby ended the same way. Welles explained, "I remember drinking a Coke and again I awakened in the same room alone and naked. This time I didn't call him and I never heard from Bill Cosby again."
Over 30 women have accused Bill Cosby of sexually assaulting them.
WEEKEND MOVIE WRAP-UP
Pop royalty beat out two kings of comedy at the weekend box office. Rihanna's animated film, Home, nabbed the top spot with 54 million with Kevin Hart and Will Ferrell's Get Hard debuting in second place with $34.6 million.
20th Century Fox exec Chris Aronson addressed the success of Home saying, "When a movie clicks, there's a confluence of events. There were several linchpins that made Home work. There was a stellar voice cast who believed in the film and worked it professionally." The film also features the vocal talents of Jennifer Lopez, Steve Martin and Jim Parsons.
- Ferrell and Hart nabbed the highest R-rated openings of their careers with Get Hard.
- The success of It Follows in limited release has prompted RADiUS studios and Dimension Films to open the critically acclaimed horror film in more theaters next weekend and postpone its VOD release.
- Divergent sequel, Insurgent, dropped into third place making 58% less at the box office in its second week.
- Focus, Chappie, and The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water fell out of the top 10 to make room for the week's new arrivals.
THIS WEEKEND'S TOP TEN MOVIES -- MARCH 27 - MARCH 29
1. Home, $54M
2. Get Hard, $34.6M
3. Insurgent, $22M
4. Cinderella, $17.5M
5. It Follows, $4M
6. Kingsman: The Secret Service, $3.05M
7. Run All Night, $2.2M
8. The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, $2.185M
9. Do You Believe?, $2.15M
10. The Gunman, $2M
BETHENNY FRANKEL HAS A PERSONALITY COACH
Bethenny Frankel is allegedly hoping to revamp her image with the help of a personality coach. According to Page Six, the 44-year-old is hoping that the hired help could help her "tone down."
Bethenny is reportedly under the impression that the ongoing drama of her divorce and her failed talk show brought on the need for a little personality makeover. A source said, "She's turned herself into a victim and been told by these coaches to be much more demure, and not be as harsh as she was."
- Frankel is rejoining the Real Housewives of New York this season after leaving the show in 2010.
KIM KARDASHIAN KEEPS GETTING DENIED FROM SOHO HOUSE: Tim Geary, the former membership director of L.A.'s Soho House has revealed some of the big names who have not made the cut to join. He revealed to The Hollywood Reporter that Kim Kardashian and other reality stars have been denied access to the private club. Tim said, "We denied access to every Real Housewife who applied. Kim Kardashian has unsuccessfully tried numerous times. Kobe Bryant showed up and chose not to join. We didn't let him up. There was debate over Britney Spears. Not sure how that played out. We tried not to give membership to people who would fuel paparazzi or bring press." Geary added, "The hardest memberships to deal with, though, were the headmistress of the school you want your kids to get into and the coaches of my sons' baseball and soccer teams."
PRINCE HARRY ATTENDS HIS EX'S SHOW: Prince Harry showed some love to his ex, Cressida Bonas, by attending a performance of the play she is acting in. The royal attended opening night of The Importance of Being Earnest last Wednesday (March 25th) but sources say people shouldn't read too much into it. One insider told Us Weekly, "They're not back together or getting back together. Him going to the Importance of Being Earnest was him supporting someone who has been an important part of his life. They both still talk and support each other's work." Harry and Cressida split up last September.
SAM WORTHINGTON WELCOMES FIRST CHILD: Sam Worthington is a dad for the first time. His wife, Lara Bingle, gave birth to a baby boy last week. It is unclear what they named him. Lara's pregnancy was first reported back in September.
MICHELLE RODRIGUEZ LOVES CAVIAR: Fast & Furious star Michelle Rodriguez has an expensive taste for caviar. Sources say she has been known to hit up restaurants in L.A. where she supposedly pays up to $700 to feed her craving. According to Us Weekly, Michelle often dines alone and asks to be seated in a back corner to while she enjoys her favorite food.
'SNL' CAST MEMBER ACCUSES NATASHA LEGGERO OF STEALING HIS JOKE: Comedian Natasha Leggero appeared on @Midnight on Friday (March 27th) where she made a joke that ripped off something Saturday Night Live's Pete Davidson said during Comedy Central's Roast of Justin Bieber. Pete joked during the roast that Jeff Ross looks like someone microwaved Seth Rogen. Natasha's joke on @Midnight was "Jeff Ross looks like someone put a butter sculpture of Mr. Clean in the microwave." Pete tweeted on Sunday (March 29th,) ".@natashaleggero how the f**k u gonna do a joke on @midnight that I did on the Bieber roast that we were on together?" Natasha responded by writing, "@petedavidson @midnight OMG so sorry I would never intentionally steal your joke- we had similar jokes and I forgot about yours." He wrote back, ".@natashaleggero it's all good. I believe it was unintentional. Just passionate about the jokes cause we all worked so hard on it."
HUGH JACKMAN CONFIRMS THIRD 'WOLVERINE' FILM: Hugh Jackman took to Instagram on Saturday (March 28th) to confirm that he will be playing Wolverine one more time in a stand-alone film. He shared a photo showing three of Wolverine's iconic claws jutting out and wrote, "WOLVERINE ...ONE LAST TIME. HJ" Hugh has played Wolverine in all of the X-Men films and two solo movies.
ELLEN DEGENERES DOCU-SERIES COMING TO NBC: NBC has ordered eight episodes of a new docu-series from Ellen DeGeneres called First Dates. The show follows eight couple who meet for the first time and decide whether they have enough chemistry to go out again. Production will begin in Chicago in July. It is based on a series that launched in the UK.
MASI OKA JOINS 'HEROES REBORN': Heroes star Masi Oka is returning for NBC's upcoming limited series, Heroes Reborn. He was nominated for an Emmy and Golden Globe for his role as Hiro Nakamura -- a man with ability to control time and space. Masi said in a statement, "I’m excited to return to my 'Heroes' roots. Hiro Nakamura was such an inspirational role to play, and I'm hoping the fans will enjoy seeing him back on TV."
JULIA LOUIS-DREYFUS IN TALKS FOR AMERICAN ADAPTATION OF 'FORCE MAJEURE': Veep star Julia Louis-Dreyfus is negotiating a deal to star in the American remake of the award-winning Swedish drama Force Majeure. She will be playing the wife of a man who deserts his family during an avalanche that hits their resort in the French Alps. Julia is also expected to have a producer credit on the adaptation.
'THE BFG' ADDS BILL HADER: Bill Hader has been added to the cast of Steven Spielberg's The BFG -- based on the children's book by Roald Dahl. The story involves a young girl who teams up with the Queen of England and a giant to capture evil, man-eating giants who are invading the human world. Bill will be playing one of the giants. The BFG is scheduled to hit theaters on July 1st, 2016.
The Keeping Up With the Kardashians star opened up about the experience to People saying, "The funny thing is, a lot of people were under the impression that I was going to this rehab facility in Costa Rica for a month, when the truth was, I was going for a week for one treatment that they have there. I'm not done. I plan to go back to this place." Scott continued, "It's an amazing place. It's beautiful and I love it, but I wasn't able to spend three or four weeks there right now. I never planned on it, and everyone keeps telling me that I dropped out early. I wanted to actually Instagram or tweet a photo of my tickets that showed that I never intended to stay any longer than I stayed...I'm a work in progress and anything that I can do to better myself, I'm trying."
- The father of three also discussed his time at the Rhythmia Life Advancement Center saying, "It kind of resets the receptors in your brain and kind of helps you kind of remember and look at your childhood and gain knowledge on what's gone wrong that makes you want to either drink or do drugs or whatever it may be that compensates for what you're not getting. It helped me dramatically to see some of the things that have troubled me in the past, but I'm not done. I plan to go back and I hope it helps me even more to get to a point where I'm fully cured of some of things that I struggle with."
- Scott was photographed partying at a club in Costa Rica the day after leaving Rhythmia. He also hosted a party at 1OAK in Vegas last Friday (March 27th.)
- It is rumored that Scott was actually paid to stay at Rhythmia.