New Music Tuesdays...
Out this week (10/16):
SELENA GOMEZ ISN'T 'COMFORTABLE' TALKING ABOUT HER LUPUS DIAGNOSIS
Although Selena Gomez recently revealed that she has been diagnosed with Lupus, the singer has admitted that she's "uncomfortable" talking about it. Gomez made an appearance on the Today show to promote her new album Revival and while on the show, she told hosts Matt Lauer and Hoda Kotb, "To be honest it still kind of makes me a little uncomfortable to talk about it. But genuinely I feel like I'm able to reach my fans and understand people when I am one-on-one with them, and they're kind of dealing with the same thing because I've been there. So I'm just trying to take something that maybe is negative and turn it a positive."
The singer also opened up about taking control and being the boss of her life, saying, "The past two years have been a very transitional time for me. I've basically grown up in front of everyone, and I had an opportunity with this record to spend my time on it. I got a whole new team, a new label. It was just me being a boss and controlling my own life. It was incredible."
SELENA GOMEZ DOESN'T WANT HER 'CAREER TO BE A TABLOID STORY'
In other news, during an interview with Refinery29, Selena has confessed that she never wanted her "career to be a tabloid story." While speaking on her relationship with ex Justin Bieber, she explained, "I think there are people who have been in my life who are seasonal. Even people who I have dated have been just that. It’s part of growing up… I think people really wanted to see me fail. I’d sit down in an interview and get the most harshly asked questions. Of course I got my heart broken. Of course I was pissed about it. There, everybody has it. I was so disappointed, because I never wanted my career to be a tabloid story."
She continued, "At this point, there is no anger. There’s closure in a very good, healthy way. We’ve seen each other. I’m always encouraging and I am proud of his journey. I think people are making it out to be something that is more tragic than it really was. We grew up together. We both made mistakes. That’s it."
The singer also spoke on her peers Demi Lovato and Miley Cyrus, saying, "Everyone has found their identity in a really interesting way. We didn’t come out as these robots that looked and dressed the same. We had to go through our own sh*t. At the end of the day, it’s respecting every female artist’s choice in how she expresses herself, because that’s what she wants."
- Selena even spilled the beans on her friendships with Jennifer Aniston and Kerry Washington. She said, "I treasure these women. I’d rather be around women than men. I think they are interesting, complicated, and beautiful." The singer continued on Kerry, saying, "I love her so much! I’m so proud of her. I think she’s just such an elegant young woman — she’s so filled with grace and poise and intelligence and generosity. She’s just a real girl, you know?"
- Gomez also shared her "very healthy perspective" on sexuality. She said, "It's not something where I'm like, let me glorify what I do in the bedroom. But I think I have a very healthy perspective on my sexuality. It's part of being an adult, and I'm still figuring out how to be one of those, too."
SELENA GOMEZ SPEAKS ON TAYLOR SWIFT/CALVIN HARRIS BREAKUP RUMORS
Meanwhile, during a satellite interview with Andy Cohen Live, Selena spilled the tea on whether or not her BFF Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris have broken up. When Cohen asked for Selena to confirm, she said, "What?! I think I would have found that out. Is that a rumor?"
- She added, "Honestly, it’s so stupid. I’m pregnant every week, Taylor’s gonna be pregnant. It’s so stupid, like you can’t really read that stuff."
Click here to listen to: THE TODAY SHOW SELENA GOMEZ ON BEING THE BOSS OF HER LIFE
RIHANNA REVEALS WHY SHE'S SINGLE
Rihanna has denied that she is dating anyone -- saying that she doesn't have time to give them attention. The singer -- who has recently been linked to Travi$ Scott, told T: The New York Times Style Magazine, "Guys need attention. They need that nourishment, that little stroke of the ego that gets them by every now and then. I’ll give it to my family, I’ll give it to my work—but I will not give it to a man right now."
She also discussed what kind of man she's attracted to, saying, "I’m turned on by guys who are cultured. That’ll keep me intrigued. They don’t have to have a single degree, but they should speak other languages or know things about other parts of the world or history or certain artists or musicians. I like to be taught."
- On dealing with race issues in her career, she said, "You know, when I started to experience the difference—or even have my race be highlighted—it was mostly when I would do business deals. And, you know, that never ends, by the way. It’s still a thing. And it’s the thing that makes me want to prove people wrong. It almost excites me; I know what they’re expecting and I can’t wait to show them that I’m here to exceed those expectations."
- The singer also opened up about her phobia of childbirth, saying that she is afraid of getting a "big vagina" after giving birth.
TAYLOR SWIFT KNOWS THAT FAME IS TEMPORARY
Taylor Swift is well-aware that fame can be here today and gone tomorrow. In the November issue of Vogue Australia, Taylor said, "I am so lucky that people seem to like me right now but in no way, shape or form is it a permanent thing. And I think being aware of that is what keeps you on the game."
Taylor went on to say that it's an "illusion" that she is "unstoppable." She continued, "The public could change their minds about me tomorrow. Things are good right now but I’m never going to be stupid, foolish or ignorant enough to think I have control over the public."
- Swift added that the one thing she is in control of is "making good music."
TAYLOR SWIFT MAKES THE FIRST MOVE IN FRIENDSHIPS
Meanwhile, Taylor also opened up about her friendship group -- which includes Lorde, Selena Gomez and Hailee Steinfeld. She said, "My friendship group is one of my favorite things about my life right now. Our friends really have each others' back. It's the first time in my life that I've had anything strong like that in the friendship department."
- She went on to say, "A lot of the time I'll reach out to people to tell them they're great and a friendship will come out of them. Ella and I — Lorde — we met on our own because her album came out and I sent her flowers and told her it was great, and now she's one of my best friends. Friendship often comes from admiration and that feels like a natural way to be friends with someone because you've established you respect what the person does."
DEMI LOVATO OPENS UP ABOUT SONGS ON 'CONFIDENT'
Demi Lovato has opened up about tracks "Old Ways" and "For You" off of her upcoming album, Confident. Demi's record, "Old Ways," addresses her dealing with bipolar disorder and seeking professional help from a rehab center. She spoke of the song and said, "The first thing I think about is going back to a time when I was engaging in self-destructive behaviors. But it’s also like, now being at an age where I’ll go out to a club and I’ll look around the room, and there’s a bunch of people drinking, partying … it looks glamorous. In that moment, I may think, 'You know, it’s been a long time. Maybe I don’t have a problem anymore.' Or 'They look like they’re having so much fun.' I easily remember how dangerous that spiral is, when you’re the type of person that lets it take over your life."
Demi then explained, "For You" -- which was produced by Max Martin, saying, "This was the very first song I recorded for this album. I was just so excited to get to work with Max Martin on this song and his camp. I was so nervous when I went in. I wanted to put my everything into that performance because I knew that I was given the opportunity that I waited for so many years to be able to work with somebody like him."
- She continued, "I laid it out there in the studio. I’ve had a lot of heartbreak in my life. I know how to channel that into the music. I think there’s always a situation in peoples' lives where they will love somebody more than they’re loved, and that’s what this song is about: is loving someone more than they love you back and you not understanding why you’re their punching bag, but you’ll do anything for them."
JESSIE J LEAVES HER MANAGEMENT COMPANY
Jessie J is no longer signed to Disturbing London management -- who manages British rapper Tinie Tempah. According to the UK's The Mirror, Tempah said, "My manager was taking care of her. And at the time there was a lot going on. I haven’t really spoken to her since they stopped working together. So I don’t really have feelings towards it."
- The rapper added, "People are managed by different people all the time – it’s quite a normal part of the game."
LOUIS TOMLINSON LAUNCHING A RECORD LABEL
ContactMusic.com has reported that One Direction's Louis Tomlinson has registered a name for his record label. Tomlinson mentioned earlier this year that he plans to launch his own company once 1D goes on hiatus in March. According to the UK's The Sun, he has filed papers to secure the name Triple Strings Ltd. The singer is launching the label with Sony's lawyer Michael Smith and 1D's legal adviser Lawrence Engel under Simon Cowell's Syco Entertainment.
- It has been reported that Tomlinson has already signed last year's X Factor finalist Jack Walton, in addition to a girl group he found while judging Be in the Band 2015.
MATHEW KNOWLES IS 'THE BRAINS' BEHIND BEYONCE'S SUCCESS
Mathew Knowles has opened up about his upcoming boot camp, "The Entertainment Industry: How Do I Get In?" Beyonce's dad and former manager told Page Six, "Let me tell you what it’s not — that I’m trying to cash out on Beyonce. Nothing to do with that. It’s the same course, same price, that I gave in Barbados. I’ve given similarities of the seminar in Paris. So it’s not something that’s new."
He continued, "As an educator, most people don’t know, I taught for 10 years at the collegiate level. For eight years I’ve taught here in Houston at Texas Southern University. As an educator, this is what I do for a living. This seminar is just an extension of that."
- Knowles added, "I’m not just Beyonce's father. People want to brand me as that. I’m the brains behind the success."
- He has sold 300 of the available 500 tickets to the seven-hour seminar. Prices range from $99 for students to $299 for the VIP experience -- which includes lunch with Knowles and a photo op.
- Knowles also plans to hold a seminar in Macon, GA next month, as well as Rochester, NY early next year. He is also booking events in NYC, Washington, DC, Baltimore and Norfolk, VA.
RITA ORA WANTS TO REMAKE 'LADY MARMALADE': Rita Ora wants to remake "Lady Marmalade" with Iggy Azalea and Miley Cyrus, but Iggy doesn't want any parts. In an interview with the UK's The Sun, Rita said, "I’m trying to round up the troops. I think it would be me, Miley Cyrus, Charli XCX—she’d be fun—and Iggy Azalea." Shortly after the interview surfaced the internet, Iggy tweeted, "Please leave me out of the whole 'Lady Marmalade' conversation. I have nothing to do with Rita's ideas & agree it should be left alone. Thanks." Although some fans were excited for the potential remake, others sided with Iggy.
BRITNEY SPEARS BUYS NEW MANSION: TMZ has reported that Britney Spears has purchased a $7 million mansion outside of LA. According to real estate sources, Brit closed the deal on the 13,264 square foot home on Friday (October 9th) and paid $7.4 million. The 5 bedroom, 7-and-a-half bath sits on 20.98 acres, has tennis courts and an infinity pool. Brit's new home also has a 3-hole golf course. Britney will also have to pay $1,836 per month in Homeowner's Association dues.
CALVIN HARRIS SUING TABLOIDS FOR DEFAMATION?: Is Calvin Harris suing tabloids for claiming that he cheated on Taylor Swift by getting a "happy ending" at a Thai massage parlor? Harris tweeted on Monday (October 12th), "It’s not going to be a 'happy ending' for everyone I sue for defamation of character for all these bullsh*t stories bye bye."
NICKI MINAJ HAS ALMOST GONE PLATINUM: According to That Grape Juice, Nicki Minaj's The Pinkprint album has almost gone platinum. Thus far, the record has sold 922,000 units.
JOHN LEGEND AND CHRISSY TEIGEN EXPECTING THEIR FIRST CHILD: John Legend and wife Chrissy Teigen are expecting their first child. Teigen announced the news on Instagram, posting a photo with her hubby touching her belly. She said, "John and I are so happy to announce that we are pregnant. As many of you know, we’ve been trying to have a baby for a while now. It hasn’t been easy, but we kept trying because we can’t wait to bring our first child into the world and grow our family. We’re so excited that it’s finally happening. Thank you for all your love and well wishes. I look forward to all the belly touching!" John shared his excitement, tweeting, "We’re pregnant!" The two have been married since September 2013.