New Music Tuesdays...
Out this week (1/27):
JUSTIN BIEBER SINCERELY APOLOGIZES TO HIS FANS
Justin Bieber has apologized to his fans in a video message after he appeared on The Ellen DeGeneres Show and claimed to be "nervous" on the show. In the clip, Bieber said, "I just wanted to make a video to express how I feel right now. I think I was nervous because I was afraid of what people are thinking about about me right now. It’s been a minute since I’ve been in a public appearance, and I didn’t want to come off arrogant or conceited or basically how I’ve been acting the past year and a half."
He continued, "I’m not who I was pretending to be. Why I say I was ‘pretending’ is often we pretend to be something we’re not as a cover up of what we’re truly feeling inside. And there were a lot of feelings going on in there. Just being young and growing up in this business is hard. Just growing up in general is hard. I just felt awkward up there. I felt like people were judging me, and I really want people to know how much I care, how much I care about people, and how I’m not that person to say, ‘I don’t give a f*ck,’ you know? I’m not that kid."
Biebz then said, "And although what’s happened in the past has happened I just want to make the best impression on people and be kind and loving and gentle and soft. And although people can call me a ‘softy,’ that’s how my mom raised me. I like talking to you guys on here. It’s our own spot. Thanks for always being there for me. I know I haven’t always made it easy."
- The singer added, "I love you all. I appreciate u so much. We are growing together and I will always try to be better. Thank you."
- Shortly after Bieber released the video, his manager Scooter Braun took to Twitter and commended the singer's courageousness. Braun wrote, "Very proud of u. Real courage comes when owning your own mistakes. Proud."
MARIAH CAREY AND NICK CANNON SUED BY FORMER NANNY
TMZ has reported that Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon are being sued by their former nanny. According to the site, the nanny claims that she was fired because she showed the couple's twins Moroccan and Monroe too much affection. Simonette DaCosta said in a new lawsuit that she was a full-time nanny when the twins were infants. She fed and bathed them however Mariah wasn't happy with the nanny's closeness with her children.
DaCosta also claimed that the singer scolded her for showing too much affection to the children.
- The nanny additionally said that she worked too hard and put in lots of overtime which sometimes amounted to 100 hours a week.
- DaCosta was paid $6,000 - $7,200 a month to care for the twins and is suing for back pay and other damages reportedly amounting to $100,000.
SAM SMITH WOULD GIVE BEYONCE HIS GRAMMY IF HE WINS
Sam Smith has shared his music idols in the latest issue of Rolling Stone magazine. In the interview, Sam spoke on being compared to Adele and said, "She's my Michael Jackson…but we're very different, and I feel like the constant comparisons might piss her off…it just annoys me that people can't digest two pop stars singing really personal songs who don't look like normal pop stars."
Sam also opened up about his love for Britney Spears. He continued, "Blackout, that's my favorite Britney album. There's still some of her there. She was fighting for something. Whatever it was, she was fighting for something. I also love 'Circus,' 'I love Femme Fatale.' I always say to myself, 'If Britney can make it through 2007, you can make it through this.'"
- Sam added that Beyonce will beat him at the Grammy's for Album of the Year, saying, "I am 100 percent sure I'll lose Album of the Year to her. She deserves it way more than I do. I'd be embarrassed if I got it over her. If I got it, I'd give it to her."
BROTHER OF FOUNDING DESTINY'S CHILD MEMBER SPEAKS OUT
In other news, the brother of Destiny's Child founder Andretta Tillman -- whose name is Lornonda Brown, has opened up on the rumored forthcoming DC biopic. Brown told Madamenoire, "I think it’s a great idea. I think that it’s been a long time coming. I think it’s a great story of how a person can go from rags to riches and all of the avenues that it took for them to get there. My sister was one of the avenues and quite a few people she actually touched. They were diamonds in the rough and I guess they’re where they want to be at this point. They are up there with the stars."
- Brown also spoke on if he feels that his sister has been given the proper credit for the role she played in creating the group. He continued, "Well, no not really. I’ll say it like this, when you do an interview, just tell the truth. Don’t turn it into something that it’s not and that’s what happened in the start with all of these interviews and documentaries. Only recently, her name has been brought up. Now, when you look back at it and you see that someone put up $300,000 plus on you, you kind of need to just acknowledge it and say what happened."
NICKI MINAJ'S EX SAYS NICKI WRITES HER OWN RHYMES
Nicki Minaj's ex-boyfriend Safaree Samuels has taken back claims where he said that he wrote Nicki's raps. He tweeted, "I wanna say 1 thing cuz ppl like to take bs and run with it.. if there was anything in my interview that came off the wrong way towards nicki I apologize and want ppl to kno that she was the best thing that ever happened to me and is a great person inside and out and the most talented person I know.. and I never said I wrote her raps."
He continued, "She is wayyy more than capable of writing an album on her own without me! She's not a dumb person, so it's easy for smart ppl to come up with the witty and smart things that she says! I don't know about other ppl but I know when it comes to writing flow n delivery she is 1 of the best if not the best. She has her style I have mine. So stop saying i write her stuff! not true!!! she sits w/a pen&pad &does it herself! God bless."
- SB later added, "And to you ignorant fans I really wish yall would leave me alone. Yall are so miserable..let me build me and stop tryin to tear me down."
- In other news, did Nicki help NBA baller John Wall make it to the All-Star game's starting line-up? Back in December, Nicki tweeted, "@JohnWall #NBABallot." John later spoke on Nicki voting for him and told CSN Washington's Ben Standig, "It’s pretty exciting to see her, at that level, to show some support and vote."
GRAMMY PRODUCER WASN'T HAPPY WITH NICKI'S PERFORMANCE THREE YEARS AGO
Meanwhile, the producer of the Grammy Awards has confessed that he was unhappy with Nicki's "Roman Holiday" performance at the award show three years ago. According to That Grape Juice, Ken Erlich said, "I was not proud of what we did with Nicki Minaj three years ago. I thought that was a disappointment both in terms of what we did and to an extent what she did. I’m not going to absolve us of any responsibility, but it just wasn’t good. If it had been controversial and good, I think I would have been proud of it. But we probably let out the string a little too much on that one."
- He continued, "We did a thing I don’t know how many years ago called 'Britney’s Incredible Dream' when Britney Spears was the biggest thing in the business. I thought I had to book her. We did this thing where it opened up with her in a bed as a little girl. Then she did -- I don’t remember what song it was -- 'Baby One More Time.' I thought that was a mistake. But there are a lot of ’em in the middle, and there are dozens near the top."
TAYLOR SWIFT STUNNED BY MADONNA'S COMPLIMENT
Taylor Swift was stunned by a compliment Madonna gave her. During an interview with Australia's Today show, Madge spoke about this generation's pop stars and said, "It's good to have princesses. It means there's lot of pretty dresses around." She then said, "I like Taylor Swift. I think she writes some really catchy pop songs. Can't get them out of my head."
Taylor replied to the interview, saying, "Thanks now I'm dead. #HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DEAL WITH THIS #BE COOL TAYLOR STOP BEING EMBARRASSING."
- Meanwhile, according to Digital Spy, Taylor has trademarked some of the phrases featured on her latest album 1989. The singer applied for trademarks with the US government for the phrases "This Sick Beat," "Party Like It's 1989," "Could Show You Incredible Things," "Nice to Meet You, Where You Been?" and "Cause We Never Go Out of Style."
IGGY AZALEA CLAPS BACK AT EVE AND JILL SCOTT
Iggy Azalea has taken to Twitter to address rapper Eve and singer Jill Scott who made comments about Iggy's "blaccent" (Black accent) and image during an interview with with Sway Calloway. Iggy wrote, "There's a difference between being yourself and being your stereotype. When people I've never met say I should act more like 'myself.' I feel like they're really saying act more like how I stereotype you to be, so I can feel comfortable. I'm myself as strange as I may be, daily. I think it's really important we all feel free to explore or feel passionate about whatever u wish."
- She added, "And I hope all my young fans take what I'm saying and remember it if you ever find yourself in similar shoes. Be as complex and multidimensional and interesting as you possibly can."
NATHAN SYKES OF THE WANTED RELEASING A SOLO ALBUM
Nathan Sykes of the group The Wanted is set to release a solo album. According to That Grape Juice, Sykes opened up about the direction of the album and said, "I’m still classing this as a pop album. It was never my mission to do something unexpected, I just wrote music and didn’t set any limits and if I’m completely honest I have even surprised myself! I think the album has got quite a wide variety of music within the genre if that makes sense."
He continued, "While I’ve kept this as a pop album, I have tried to make something for everyone and have elements of soul, funk, Motown, dance, straight down the line commercial pop, some more stripped back acoustic tracks and there are a couple of piano ballads on there as well. I just wanted to make an album that people can really enjoy and that will also translate really well into a live show as I feel that having a great live show is just as important as having a great album."
Sykes also spoke on his influences, saying, "I could go on forever about music that I love but while I love all of the older stuff like Donny Hathaway, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke etc I also love how Labrinth has taken influence from those guys and made the most amazing track with 'Let It Be.' I'm also really inspired by Ryan Tedder, Jamie Cullum, Boyz II Men and John Legend."
- The singer also spoke on Harmony Samuels being the executive producer on his album, who also worked with Sykes' ex-girlfriend Ariana Grande. He added, "At the start of the process I made a list of dream producers and song writers I would love to work with which included Harmony Samuels, Babyface and Diane Warren, all of whom wanted to work with me, which was amazing. Having already worked with Harmony on the track 'Almost Is Never Enough' with Ariana Grande, he really helped me create the sound and he’s now the Executive Producer on the album and together we have created some of my favorite tracks on the album."
WAS NICK JONAS GOING TO PROPOSE DURING THE 2015 MISS UNIVERSE PAGEANT?: Nick Jonas has revealed that he scared his girlfriend Olivia Culpo at the 2015 Miss Universe pageant this past weekend. The singer told the UK's The Sun, "I went down and sang to her, and I got on a knee and approached her. Her face was in full panic. She thought I was going to propose on national TV in front of one billion people."
RITA ORA PERFORMING AT THE OSCARS: Rita Ora has announced that she will be performing at the Oscars. Rita tweeted, "I’m excited to announce @TheAcademy invited me to perform on the #Oscars on Feb 22nd!" She will be singing her Oscar-nominated record "Grateful" from the film Beyond the Lights.
DAME DASH SPEAKS ON PRESENTING KANYE WITH HIS VISIONARY AWARD AT THE BET HONORS: Damon Dash has opened up about presenting Kanye West with the Visionary Award at the BET Honors, which was taped last week. In an interview with Hip Hop Motivation, Dame said that Kanye actually reached out to him to see if he could present the award. Dame explained, "I wasn’t expecting for me to be the person to give it to him because it’s rare I get the credit on any level for anyone’s success as of yet from another man. It was the first time someone has given me a platform to take some kind of credit for giving them a platform…" He continued, "Honestly Kanye always does give me a shout out…and he did just then and I thought that was brave of him…because of that any issues I had with him, I spoke about it as man, and he spoke back and that’s between us."